Re: DPMT membership request

Hello Zigo,

thank you very much for your feedback!
More inline:

> 1/ debian/rules
> ===============
> 1.a. Simplifying dpkg-parsechangelog
>
> You can replace your PKG = line with:
>
> PKG = $(shell dpkg-parsechangelog -SSource)
>
> The same way, you can simplify VER = using dpkg-parsechangelog -SVersion
>
> Note that I'm not adding a space after the -S, as this would add an
> incompatibility with Ubuntu trusty (and there's no reason why you
> wouldn't care as this is a gratuitous fix for it).

I found this at https://wiki.debian.org/onlyjob/get-orig-source
Didn't know these shortcuts anyway, fixing.

> 1.b. Adding unnecessary parenthesis
>
> Why are you adding parenthesis to the command:
> PYTHONPATH=. help2man

Yes, that should not be needed, removing.

> ?
>
> 1.c. Using update-alternatives for /usr/bin
>
> Instead of doing:
> 	rm -rf debian/python-aptly/usr/bin
> 	mkdir -p debian/aptly-publisher/usr
> 	mv debian/python3-aptly/usr/bin debian/aptly-publisher/usr/
>
> you can have a look at using pkgos-alternative-bin from
> openstack-pkg-tools. This will generate postinst, prerm and postrm for
> you, so it handles /usr/bin with python2 or python3 alternatives.
> Optionally, you can fix py3 as higher priority in the postinst files if
> you prefer.

I was thinking about using alternatives vs forcing python3 (didn't know
pkgos-alternative-bin anyway or any reference package for this case) but
decided to force Python 3 as it should be Debian's default.

> 2/ debian/control
> =================
> 2.a X-Python{3,}-Version headers
>
> Please remove X-Python-Version: >= 2.6 and X-Python3-Version: >= 3.2
> stuff. Jessie has Python 2.6 and Python 3.4, so these are completely
> useless. It isn't even needed in oldstable!!!

Good, didn't know it's not needed now.

> 2.b Build-Depends-Indep:
>
> Since both all of the generated binaries are Arch: all, you can put some
> of the Build-Depends into Build-Depends-Indep: like this:
>
> Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 9),
>                dh-python,
>                help2man,
>                python-all,
>                python-setuptools,
>                python3-all,
>                python3-setuptools
> Build-Depends-Indep: python-requests,
>                      python-yaml,
>
> I was also very much surprised to not see python3-requests and
> python3-yaml in your build-depends. Aren't you running Py3 tests too?

Will fix this.

> 2.c Short and long description
>
> Your short description for python-aptly and python3-aptly shouldn't be
> that different. Also, upstream short desc is nicer. I'd suggest:
>
> Package: python-aptly
> [...]
> Package: python3-aptly
>
> 2.d Long desc for Package: aptly-publisher
>
> The long desc start by an empty line. This isn't nice. Also, please
> consider longer long descriptions. 2 lines isn't enough, at least 5
> would be nicer. Upstream has a lot more info which you can pickup.

Fixed.

> 3/ Final word
>
> I hope this helps. Thanks for your contribution to Debian.

Helps a lot, thank you again!