Re: DPMT membership request

On 08/04/2016 05:35 PM, Filip Pytloun wrote:
> Hello DPMT,
>
> I would like to join to be able to package some software I am interested
> in (Openstack-related + various python tools that I (co-)authored).
>
> As the first package, I am working on packaging of python-aptly:
> https://github.com/fpytloun/debian-python-aptly
>
> I have read and agree the policy.
> My Alioth login is fpytloun-guest.
>
> Thank you,
> Filip

Hi Filip,

A few things about your packaging.

1/ debian/rules
===============
1.a. Simplifying dpkg-parsechangelog

You can replace your PKG = line with:

PKG = $(shell dpkg-parsechangelog -SSource)

The same way, you can simplify VER = using dpkg-parsechangelog -SVersion

Note that I'm not adding a space after the -S, as this would add an
incompatibility with Ubuntu trusty (and there's no reason why you
wouldn't care as this is a gratuitous fix for it).

1.b. Adding unnecessary parenthesis

Why are you adding parenthesis to the command:
PYTHONPATH=. help2man

?

1.c. Using update-alternatives for /usr/bin

Instead of doing:
	rm -rf debian/python-aptly/usr/bin
	mkdir -p debian/aptly-publisher/usr
	mv debian/python3-aptly/usr/bin debian/aptly-publisher/usr/

you can have a look at using pkgos-alternative-bin from
openstack-pkg-tools. This will generate postinst, prerm and postrm for
you, so it handles /usr/bin with python2 or python3 alternatives.
Optionally, you can fix py3 as higher priority in the postinst files if
you prefer.

2/ debian/control
=================
2.a X-Python{3,}-Version headers

Please remove X-Python-Version: >= 2.6 and X-Python3-Version: >= 3.2
stuff. Jessie has Python 2.6 and Python 3.4, so these are completely
useless. It isn't even needed in oldstable!!!

2.b Build-Depends-Indep:

Since both all of the generated binaries are Arch: all, you can put some
of the Build-Depends into Build-Depends-Indep: like this:

Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 9),
               dh-python,
               help2man,
               python-all,
               python-setuptools,
               python3-all,
               python3-setuptools
Build-Depends-Indep: python-requests,
                     python-yaml,

I was also very much surprised to not see python3-requests and
python3-yaml in your build-depends. Aren't you running Py3 tests too?

2.c Short and long description

Your short description for python-aptly and python3-aptly shouldn't be
that different. Also, upstream short desc is nicer. I'd suggest:

Package: python-aptly
[...]
Package: python3-aptly

2.d Long desc for Package: aptly-publisher

The long desc start by an empty line. This isn't nice. Also, please
consider longer long descriptions. 2 lines isn't enough, at least 5
would be nicer. Upstream has a lot more info which you can pickup.

3/ Final word

I hope this helps. Thanks for your contribution to Debian.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)