Re: voluptuous in DPMT

On Aug 02, 2016, at 11:35 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

>I need voluptuous for OpenStack. So unless someone needs the version in
>Unstable, I prefer to not risk to break anything, and upload updates to
>Experimental, just in case the new version breaks something in the older
>release of OpenStack. My intention was to upload Voluptuous to Unstable
>when Newton was out. However, if you need it, then it's fine to upload
>to Unstable, and if something break in OpenStack, then it's up to me to
>repair... :)

Okay, I *think* I'm parsing that as: if you need the newer version it's okay
to upload to unstable.

It's kind of hard to tell what's changed.  Upstream doesn't seem to publish a
changelog/news file afaict, and didn't even tag 0.9.2 in their git repo.  But
Ubuntu has the experimental version with a delta and I'd like to get those in
sync, so I think it makes sense to upload the latest release.

>Well, if you look at tracker.debian.org, then you'll see that I uploaded the
>package in early June, when I had still no commit rights to the git of the
>DPMT. Therefore, I couldn't "git push".

Darn.

>Unfortunately, after I got my write access back, I forgot about Voluptuous,
>and therefore didn't git push. Sorry for that, and thanks so much for doing
>the work of pushing the changes.

No worries, and I'm glad you got your write access back.

>The file here:
>https://github.com/openstack/requirements/blob/master/upper-constraints.txt
>
>shows that OpenStack Newton (currently in Experimental) is right now gating
>on 0.9.1 upstream, so 0.9.2 is probably fine as well. Please go ahead, you're
>saving me some work! :) Hopefully, this wont break Mitaka (currently in Sid).

Cool!

This makes me wonder whether we can put something in the d/control or
otherwise to indicate that a package may be used by OpenStack, and where to go
for more information or sanity checks before new versions are uploaded.

It definitely doesn't make sense to have to check for OpenStack compatibility
for every DPMT package.  I only noticed this one after looking at the open
bugs and checking the versions in Debian and Ubuntu.  Then I saw your unpushed
upload and figured I better ask before I break stuff. :)

Maybe we could add a header to d/control that would say something like
"There's an OpenStack constraint on the version numbers, please check before
you upload"?  Then at least for a Maintainer: DPMT package, a quick email like
mine could go out first.

I'll upload 0.9.2 to unstable in a few minutes.

Cheers,
-Barry