Re: voluptuous in DPMT

On 08/02/2016 07:54 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Thomas, what's going on with the voluptuous package?
>
> I'm looking at starting to use it for a project and I noticed that it was
> pretty out of date (the current upstream is 0.9.2).  So I gbp cloned the DPMT
> git-dpm repo and started to hack on it.  The last upload appeared to be
> 0.8.2-1 by Robert S. Edmonds, although Ondřej Nový made some recent
> non-uploaded commits.
>
> Then I noticed that you've made two uploads since then, 0.8.8-1 to unstable
> and 0.8.11-1 to experimental.  But neither of these changes appears in DPMT
> git repo for the package, afaict.
>
> So, questions:
>
> Why was 0.8.11 only uploaded to experimental?  It doesn't seem to have all
> that many reverse dependencies, so why not just upload it to unstable?

I need voluptuous for OpenStack. So unless someone needs the version in
Unstable, I prefer to not risk to break anything, and upload updates to
Experimental, just in case the new version breaks something in the older
release of OpenStack. My intention was to upload Voluptuous to Unstable
when Newton was out. However, if you need it, then it's fine to upload
to Unstable, and if something break in OpenStack, then it's up to me to
repair... :)

As of today, the only rdepends are:

python-voluptuous
  Reverse Depends: gertty (1.3.1-1)
  Reverse Depends: lava-dev (2016.6-2)
  Reverse Depends: lava-server (2016.6-2)
  Reverse Depends: python-gnocchi (2.0.2-6)
  Reverse Depends: python-tooz (>= 1.34.0-2)
  Reverse Depends: python-watcher (>= 0.28.0-2)

So, except lava, everything else is OpenStack related, so I think it's
ok to follow this type of workflow.

> And, why weren't your changes committed to git and pushed?  Where did you make
> your changes?  I don't want to lose them, but since the package *is* DPMT
> maintained, its git repo really should reflect all the uploads.

Well, if you look at tracker.debian.org, then you'll see that I uploaded
the package in early June, when I had still no commit rights to the git
of the DPMT. Therefore, I couldn't "git push".

Unfortunately, after I got my write access back, I forgot about
Voluptuous, and therefore didn't git push. Sorry for that, and thanks so
much for doing the work of pushing the changes.

> You won't mind if I upload 0.9.2?

The file here:
https://github.com/openstack/requirements/blob/master/upper-constraints.txt

shows that OpenStack Newton (currently in Experimental) is right now
gating on 0.9.1 upstream, so 0.9.2 is probably fine as well. Please go
ahead, you're saving me some work! :) Hopefully, this wont break Mitaka
(currently in Sid).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)