Re: Properly splitting Python "-doc" packages

Tiago Ilieve <tiago.myhro@gmail.com> writes:

> Ok. As this seems to be considered very wrong, I've separated the
> package[1], between "bootstrap-vz" and "python-bootstrap-vz". The
> first one contains binaries/man pages/etc. and the later contains the
> library with everything packaged by Pybuild.

Is there really a need for this separation? If the Python modules are
installed to an application-private directory, then by definition they
will not be publicly importable. So the Python libraries don't make much
sense as a separately installable package.

Why not simply have the application package also contain the private
Python libraries it needs?

For an example of how I've done this, see my ongoing refactor of ‘dput’
<URL:https://notabug.org/bignose/dput/src/packaging-upgrade/debian>. The
pacakging uses Pybuild to manage the Python libraries and installs them
to an application-private location.

There is no separate Python library package, because ‘dput’ is the only
binary package that would use them and it just installs them itself.

--
 \        “A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can |
  `\                                     take from you.” —Ramsey Clark |