Re: Properly splitting Python "-doc" packages

[Tiago Ilieve, 2016-04-14]
> On 14 April 2016 at 10:52, Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> wrote:
> > that's because python-django is using --buildsystem=pybuild in dh; if you add
> >
> >   export PYBUILD_NAME=bootstrapvz
> >
> > it will install .py / egg-info files into python-bootstrapvz binary package
> > (please add python-bootstrapvz binary package, BTW)
>
> I had made a test with Pybuild, but ended up facing the same problem.
> Now I see that the problem is that the variable "PYBUILD_NAME" should
> have a value of "bootstrap-vz" (notice the hyphen), not "boostrapvz".
> Probably because this has to be consistent with whatever is the
> package name defined in "setup.py", right?

PYBUILD_NAME is used to guess the Debian binary package name (and that's
THE only thing it is used for), whatever is in setup.py doesn't matter.

If you use PYBUILD_NAME=foo, it will install into:

  debian/python-foo/    # python2.X and python2.X-dbg
  debian/python3-foo/   # python3.X and python3.X-dbg
  debian/pypy-foo/      # pypy

that's all, there's no more magic with PYBUILD_NAME

> Anyway, if the package is named "python-boostrapvz" it ended up

that's the correct binary package name for public Python 2.X "boostrapvz" module,
"boostrap_vz" is egg/dist name which we ignore. For module name
"boostrap_vz" correct binary package names would be python-boostrap-vz

> properly packaging the files, but as I've mentioned here a couple
> times before[1][2], I don't want to call any Python application
> package as "python-*". bootstrap-vz is a CLI application and should
> end up in a package named "bootstrap-vz". The problem is that if I do

then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not install as public modules - install into
/usr/share/boostrap-vz/ f.e. with this pybuild args:

  export PYBUILD_INSTALL_ARGS=--install-lib=/usr/share/boostrap-vz/ --install-scripts=/usr/share/boostrap-vz/

and

  /usr/share/boostrap-vz/boostrap-vz /usr/bin/boostrap-vz
  /usr/share/boostrap-vz/boostrap-remote /usr/bin/boostrap-remote
  /usr/share/boostrap-vz/boostrap-server /usr/bin/boostrap-server

in debian/boostrap-vz.links

> this, I'll and up with an empty binary package package again. Is there
> a way to tell Pybuild that the Python files should end up in the
> package "bootstrap-vz" and not "python-bootstrap-vz"?

see PYBUILD_INSTALL_ARGS above (and use PYBUILD_DESTDIR=debian/bootstrap-vz/
instead of PYBUILD_NAME)