Re: Properly splitting Python "-doc" packages

Piotr,

On 14 April 2016 at 12:33, Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> wrote:
> PYBUILD_NAME is used to guess the Debian binary package name (and that's
> THE only thing it is used for), whatever is in setup.py doesn't matter.
>
> If you use PYBUILD_NAME=foo, it will install into:
>
>   debian/python-foo/    # python2.X and python2.X-dbg
>   debian/python3-foo/   # python3.X and python3.X-dbg
>   debian/pypy-foo/      # pypy
>
> that's all, there's no more magic with PYBUILD_NAME

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

> then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not install as public modules - install into
> /usr/share/boostrap-vz/ f.e. with this pybuild args:
>
>   export PYBUILD_INSTALL_ARGS=--install-lib=/usr/share/boostrap-vz/ --install-scripts=/usr/share/boostrap-vz/
>
> and
>
>   /usr/share/boostrap-vz/boostrap-vz /usr/bin/boostrap-vz
>   /usr/share/boostrap-vz/boostrap-remote /usr/bin/boostrap-remote
>   /usr/share/boostrap-vz/boostrap-server /usr/bin/boostrap-server
>
> in debian/boostrap-vz.links
>
> see PYBUILD_INSTALL_ARGS above (and use PYBUILD_DESTDIR=debian/bootstrap-vz/
> instead of PYBUILD_NAME)

Ok. As this seems to be considered very wrong, I've separated the
package[1], between "bootstrap-vz" and "python-bootstrap-vz". The
first one contains binaries/man pages/etc. and the later contains the
library with everything packaged by Pybuild.

I've tried to use "/usr/share/boostrap-vz" for it, but as it run as
root it ends up writing "*.pyc" files in there, resulting in a
non-clean package removal. I guess the split between application and
library package is a better form of organization.

Thanks for your help and your awesome work in Pybuild!

Regards,
Tiago.

[1]: https://anonscm.debian.org/git/cloud/bootstrap-vz.git/commit/?id=1c075a7c300fa541abe2ccdcf8c5ab35128f7a76
--