Re: Packaging Grip

Hi Tiago,

On Wed, Apr 06, 2016 at 11:37:24PM -0300, Tiago Ilieve wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to explain me this, but actually I got a
> little bit confused. Because yes, what you said is consistent with
> what I found on articles about Python packaging on wiki.d.o[1][2], but
> at the same time there are well-known packages in the archive that
> contradicts this, specially the item "3".
>
> The package that I used as an example is tox. It used to be called
> "python-tox", which is now a transitional dummy package[3]. Now is
> named "tox"[4], because it is intended to be used as a CLI
> application, but at the same time it ships its files in
> "dist-packages"[5].

There are always exceptions of course. If the primary use of your package
is its command-line interface, and you don't expect other packages in
Debian to use its Python API, then shipping everything in one package
called grip is probably fine.

> I followed the tox example and named the package "grip", not
> "python-grip", because I'm standing on the shoulders of giants here. I
> don't really know its maintainer, Barry Warsaw, but the guy has both
> "@debian.org" and "@python.org" e-mail addresses[6], so he clearly
> knows about Debian packaging and the Python ecosystem itself way more
> than I do.
>
> The problem with the item number "4" is that I never got it working as
> intended. So every time I have to create my own "/usr/bin/" scripts or
> symlinks, discarding those auto-generated entry point scripts.

If upstream entry points don't work, then having your own ones is fine.

Though in my experience upstream entry points for public packages usually
worked.

--
Dmitry Shachnev