Re: Python Policy

[Barry Warsaw, 2015-10-20]
> Latest diff against master.  If you're happy with this, I'll merge to master,
> update the web page, and trim the wiki.

I have few comments, but even if I didn't, please wait at least until after
the weekend (or better: 7 days) so that others have time to review it and
comment / propose changes.

I removed everything that sounds fine to me.

> +DPMT requires upstream tarballs; releases cannot be made from upstream git
> +repositories directly.  This is because PyPI contains upstream tarballs, and
> +tarballs are what we upload to the Debian archive.

I'd remove this paragraph. Releases can be made via `git archive` and I
did that many times (assuming pristine-tar will still keep needed data
to regenerate exact same tarball).
If you meant that we don't want to keep complete upstream git history,
then I agree completely, but I'd made it a "should" rather than "must".

> +``gbp build-package`` is used to build the package, either as a source package

s/build-package/buildpackage/

> +for use with ``pbuilder``, ``sbuild``, etc. or as a binary package directory.

gbp can use sbuild/pbuilder, here's my ~/.gbp.conf:

  [buildpackage]
  builder=sbuild

> +Use the following ``git-dpm`` tag formats for the three branches named above.
> +Put these lines at the *end* of your ``debian/.git-dpm`` file::
> +
> +    debianTag="debian/%e%v"
> +    patchedTag="patches/%e%v"
> +    upstreamTag="upstream/%e%u"

I will update `py2dsp --profile dpmt ...` to do that out of the box, but
even then, it's better to suggest that tool in the wiki only, I guess

> +All packages which have been automatically converted from the old Subversion
> +repository should already have these lines present, but you will need to add
> +them for any new packages.

that's something for the wiki, not policy, IMO

other comment:
I'm wondering about something that bit me recently: `gbp pull` instead
of `git pull` - should we put that into policy or is wiki warning enough?