Re: Python Policy

| diff --git a/policy.rst b/policy.rst
| index c09f03a..9a9abb4 100644
| --- a/policy.rst
| +++ b/policy.rst
| @@ -1,20 +1,19 @@
| -========================================
| - Python Modules Packaging Team - Policy
| -========================================
| +=====================================
| + Debian Python Modules Team - Policy
| +=====================================
|
| -:Author: Gustavo Franco <stratus@debian.org>, Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
| +:Author: Gustavo Franco <stratus@debian.org>, Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>, Barry Warsaw <barry@debian.org>
|  :License: GNU GPL v2 or later
|
|  :Introduction:
| -  Python Modules Packaging Team aims to improve the python modules situation
| -  in Debian, by packaging available modules that may be useful and providing
| -  a central location for packages maintained by a team, hence improving
| -  responsiveness, integration and standardization.
| +  The Debian Python Modules Team (DPMT) aims to improve the Python modules
| +  situation in Debian, by packaging available modules that may be useful and
| +  providing a central location for packages maintained by a team, hence
| +  improving responsiveness, integration, and standardization.
|
| -  PMPT or just python-modules is hosted at alioth.debian.org, the Debian
| -  GForge installation. We currently have a SVN repository and a mailing list
| -  whose email address can be used in the Maintainer field on co-maintained
| -  packages.
| +  The DPMT is hosted at alioth.debian.org, the Debian GForge installation. We
| +  currently have a git repository and a mailing list whose email address can

+1 to all above

| +  be used in the ``Maintainer`` field on co-maintained packages.

I suggest:

s/``Maintainer`` field/``Maintainer`` or ``Uploaders`` fields/

|    For more information send a message to: debian-python@lists.debian.org
|
| @@ -24,16 +23,17 @@
|  Joining the team
|  ----------------
|
| -The team is open to any python-related package maintainer. To be added on
| +The team is open to any Python-related package maintainer. To be added on
|  the team, please send your request on debian-python@lists.debian.org
|  indicate why you want to join the team: maintain your current packages
|  within the team, help maintain some specific packages, etc.

how about adding (taken from the wiki :) this:

  In your email please state that you have read
  https://python-modules.alioth.debian.org/policy.html and
  that you accept it.

> [...]
|  follow the packages.
|
| ----------------------
| -Subversion Procedures
| ----------------------
| -
| -We're using a Subversion repository to maintain all the packages, then if you're not
| -already using it you will need to install svn-buildpackage.
| -
| -*The repository layout:*
| -
| -metainfo/
| -  Ignore this directory (reserved for future usage).
| -
| -packages/
| -  The source packages are here.
| -
| -  package-foo
| -      branches
| -         If you or someone wants to play with a package possible breaking the trunk, give it a name and do it here.
| -      tags
| -         For each release, a tag. More information below.
| -      trunk
| -         That's where the main development happens, it should contain only the debian/ subdirectory part of a package.
| -
| -www/
| -  Documents and stuff that will be or are being published online in our website.
| -
| -
| -Hints:
| -======
| -* To keep your package tree clean as pointed out above, always :code:`svn-inject` your packages using :code:`-o` argument.
| -* If you svn-inject'ed a package without :code:`-o`, you should remove upstream sources and run :code:`svn propset mergeWithUpstream 1 debian/`.
| -* Since you are keeping only debian/ directory in the svn tree, you need to put the 'package-foo'_'version'.orig.tar.gz in tarballs/ a directory above the package, and svn-buildpackage will do the merge for you. More information about this in the svn-buildpackage howto at /usr/share/doc/svn-buildpackage/.
| -* After upload, tag the latest revision running :code:`svn-buildpackage --svn-tag-only` into 'package-foo' directory.
| -* You can revert the changelog changes after tagging, running :code:`svn revert debian/changelog`.
| -* If you're a pbuilder user, you can invoke it using :code:`svn-buildpackage --svn-builder pdebuild <args>`.
| -
| -For more information on how to maintain packages within the repository with svn-buildpackage:
| -`http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/subversion.html <https://web.archive.org/web/20141027193341/http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/subversion.html>`_
| -
| -Please note that python-modules URLs are different than pkg-perl ones:
| -
| -* svn+ssh://login@svn.debian.org/svn/python-modules/packages/
| -* svn://svn.debian.org/python-modules/packages/

+1 for all above changes

| +--------------
| +Git Procedures
| +--------------
|
| -Moreover, python-modules still use the default layout: don't pass :code:`-l 2` to :code:`svn-inject`.
| +As of October 9, 2015, the DPMT uses git as the version control system for all
| +packages, and git-dpm as the patch management regime.  Details of the
| +procedures, standards for branches and tags, and common workflows are
| +maintained on the `Debian wiki <https://wiki.debian.org/Python/GitPackaging>`_
| +page.

I'm against this change. If we want all team packages to follow some
rules, these rules need to be in policy document, not on the wiki page.
I don't want this page to be removed, policy can even point to it, but I
want it to be crystal clear that the binding document is the policy, not
any other document in the internet (even if it's very helpful).

What am I missing here is a set of branch/tag names and procedures
(f.e. I didn't know that git pull is not enough and I should gbp pull or
update pristine-tar branch by hand) and debian/patches related set of rules
(do we require git-dpm or can one use plain quilt of some other rules
are followed?)

|  Quality Assurance
| @@ -127,7 +91,7 @@ packaging tools, etc.
|  License
|  -------
|
| -Copyright (c) 2005-2015 Python Modules Packaging Team. All rights reserved.
| +Copyright (c) 2005-2015 Debian Python Modules Team. All rights reserved.
|  This document is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify
|  it under the same terms as GNU GPL v2 or later.

+1