Re: How to maintain multiple branches (sid/bpo/exp etc)?

On Nov 03, 2015, at 12:03 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:

>1. I have a simple package, which I keep maintaining with the usual
>'master' and 'upstream' branches, but then the testing freeze will
>come and I want to start uploading to experimental, at that point I
>need to change the layout of the repo (annoying, but I am the
>maintainer, I can do that I guess)

If you don't think you'll need to upload to unstable during the freeze, then I
think it's probably okay to put experimental changes on master.  I did this
during the last freeze and it worked out okay.  I guess it's a bit of a gamble
though.

>2. what if I am not the package maintainer tough? I cannot enforce a
>new layout to that repo. take this real-life example sqlalchemy: I
>asked Piotr for a jessie backport of 1.0.8, he agreed I can go ahead,
>I have a package ready and I dont know how to commit it to the repo.
>what should I do at this point?

I guess the maintainer has to give you permission to rename the branches, or
at least to add a debian/jessie branch for the backport.

Cheers,
-Barry