Re: How to maintain multiple branches (sid/bpo/exp etc)?

On Nov 02, 2015, at 11:07 PM, Sandro Tosi wrote:

>I dont think I follow your description: looking at the debian repo, stable
>has 1.5.6-5 while testing and unstable has 1.5.6-7; looking at the git repo
>(as of http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/python-modules/packages/python-pip.git)
>all the branches are from 5 months ago except for master which is 3 weeks
>old. so how do you make it work?

So I'll preface this by saying I suck.  I should really adopt the DEP-14
conventions so it's less confusing *and* document this in d/README.source.
release-1.5.6 is for uploads to unstable and the last push three months ago on
that branch was for 1.5.6-7.  master is for what will be the new upstream
whenever I get more time to work on it.  release-1.5.6 branch is at least
correct:

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/python-modules/packages/python-pip.git/tree/debian/changelog?h=release-1.5.6

So it's not completely analogous to your case; I just wanted to point out that
you can have whatever branches you want for other releases, and git-dpm should
continue to Just Work.

>say I have v1.0 packaged in master for unstable, and want to package
>v2.0 for experimental: should I created a release-2.0 (and a relative
>upstream-release-2.0 (what are the commands to obtain it, btw?)) and
>then doing the exp packaging there? how do I manage when I want to
>upload v2.0 to unstable? merge release-2.0 to master,
>upstream-release-2.0 to upstream? what if then I want to backport a
>previous revision of 1.0 to jessie?
>
>they might seem rare situations, but I face them everyday doing
>backports for work and wanting to upload them to debian as well.

Raphael can probably say more about this, and advocate for DEP-14, which in
your case probably makes more sense than I have:

http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep14/

It's probably worth some experimentation to see if DEP-14 is the right
approach for you, and how that might inform updates to DPMT policy at some
point.  Just remember to document it in README.source. ;)

trying-to-be-less-unhelpful-ly y'rs,
-Barry