Re: How to maintain multiple branches (sid/bpo/exp etc)?

> I'm kind of doing something like this for python-pip.  I'm (slowly) working on
> updating the whole stack to the latest upstream, but I'm also maintaining
> 1.5.6.  I just created a release-1.5.6 branch and switch to that when I'm
> doing stable maintenance, then switch back to master when I'm working on the
> new upstream.
>
> I have an upstream-release-1.5.6 and of course when I `git-dpm c-p` on the
> release-1.5.6 branch, I end up in a patched-release-1.5.6 branch.  Really, I
> don't do much special other than switch to the relevant branch; all other
> workflows seem to continue to do the right thing.

I dont think I follow your description: looking at the debian repo,
stable has 1.5.6-5 while testing and unstable has 1.5.6-7; looking at
the git repo (as of
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/python-modules/packages/python-pip.git)
all the branches are from 5 months ago except for master which is 3
weeks old. so how do you make it work?

is that release-1.5.6 for update to debian stable? just by looking at
the repo, can someone tell that release-1.5.6 is for jessie and not
for wheezy and not even for experimental (if we consider master to
always target unstable) or even for unstable itself, as it contains
1.5.6-7? that seems a bit confusing (hopefully I  didnt understand)

say I have v1.0 packaged in master for unstable, and want to package
v2.0 for experimental: should I created a release-2.0 (and a relative
upstream-release-2.0 (what are the commands to obtain it, btw?)) and
then doing the exp packaging there? how do I manage when I want to
upload v2.0 to unstable? merge release-2.0 to master,
upstream-release-2.0 to upstream? what if then I want to backport a
previous revision of 1.0 to jessie?

they might seem rare situations, but I face them everyday doing
backports for work and wanting to upload them to debian as well.