Re: pybuild (Re: image-file-in-usr-lib)

On 11/05/15 08:03, Ole Streicher wrote:
> What is the rationale between having all this in /usr/lib?

Conversely, it might be informative to consider the rationale for
/usr/lib and /usr/share being separate:

"""
This hierarchy is intended to be shareable among all architecture
platforms of a given OS; thus, for example, a site with i386, Alpha, and
PPC platforms might maintain a single /usr/share directory that is
centrally-mounted. Note, however, that /usr/share is generally not
intended to be shared by different OSes or by different releases of the
same OS.
"""

... but does anyone actually do this? It's not as if dpkg really
supports it. If I was trying to provide NFS-mounted root filesystems or
/usr for multiple architectures, my process would go more like this:

* stop doing that, it's 2015;
* failing that, have a chroot per architecture;
* if necessary, deduplicate with btrfs reflinks;
* if not on btrfs and disk space is short, deduplicate with hardlinks