Re: pybuild (Re: image-file-in-usr-lib)

Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> writes:
> The FHS never talks about putting *code* into /usr/share. So pybuild
> is right from my point of view to put it in /usr/lib.

I think the Debian Policy is quite clear here:

| [...] However, when a directory is entirely composed of
| architecture-independent files, it should be located in /usr/share.

The policy talks about when to put *files* into /usr/share. code files
are also files, so they should (from the policy point of view) make no
exception. And, in fact there is no difference between emacs .el(c)
files, perl .pl files, and python .py(c) files, right? Do you think perl
is wrong putting their files to /usr/share?

Even if the FHS speaks about "data files", they (in my opinion) suggest
that this includes code:

| It is recommended that application-specific, architecture-independent
| directories be placed here. Such directories include groff, perl,
| ghostscript, texmf, and kbd (Linux) or syscons (BSD). They may,
| however, be placed in /usr/lib for backwards compatibility, at the
| distributor's discretion.

(the last sentence is clarified by the Debian Policy).

I don't want to argue that python should move to /usr/share; however it
would be nice (especially for beginners) if policy, lintian, and reality
would match here. And I am just trying to find out whom to ask for a
change. So, do you think it is just Lintian? Shall I put the
recommendation "make lintian silent here" in my tutorial?

Best regards

Ole