Re: Bits from the Debian PyCon Hangout - /usr/bin/python

It's worth mentioning that in virtualenvs and conda envs, where there can only be one version of Python installed, 'python' refers to that whether it is Python 3 or 2. So it's already not a safe assumption that 'python' always means Python 2, even if you discount Arch.

On 15 April 2015 at 21:04, Scott Kitterman <sklist@kitterman.com> wrote:
On April 15, 2015 8:00:22 PM EDT, Barry Warsaw <barry@debian.org> wrote:
>On Apr 15, 2015, at 04:42 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>
>>Then I don't understand why the whole s/python/python2// plan in the
>shebangs
>>helps anything.  As long as both exist, it's a no-op.
>
>Partly this is to begin to educate users to stop using /usr/bin/python,
>which
>has unclear semantics across the wider Python community.  If users see
>distro
>installed scripts use /usr/bin/python2, and PEP 394 says to use it,
>they will
>switch over and in time (e.g. by 2020) the impact of removing
>/usr/bin/python
>will be greatly lessened.
>
>>P.S.  It would be nice if there would be a PEP that says to never ever
>do
>>this.  I know it would make Arch have a sad, but they'll get over it.
>
>PEP 394 is the vehicle for this, and getting the Debian and Fedora
>ecosystems
>aligned will be a powerful force for making sure it says what we want
>it to
>say.

PEP-394 is very weak in my opinion. All it says is we aren't ready to break existing systems yet, but we probably will in the future. I think it's better not to do that period.

Scott K