Re: Bits from the Debian PyCon Hangout - /usr/bin/python

On Apr 15, 2015, at 04:42 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>Then I don't understand why the whole s/python/python2// plan in the shebangs
>helps anything.  As long as both exist, it's a no-op.

Partly this is to begin to educate users to stop using /usr/bin/python, which
has unclear semantics across the wider Python community.  If users see distro
installed scripts use /usr/bin/python2, and PEP 394 says to use it, they will
switch over and in time (e.g. by 2020) the impact of removing /usr/bin/python
will be greatly lessened.

>P.S.  It would be nice if there would be a PEP that says to never ever do
>this.  I know it would make Arch have a sad, but they'll get over it.

PEP 394 is the vehicle for this, and getting the Debian and Fedora ecosystems
aligned will be a powerful force for making sure it says what we want it to
say.

Cheers,
-Barry