Re: Bits from the Debian PyCon Hangout - /usr/bin/python

On April 15, 2015 11:17:52 AM EDT, Stefano Rivera <stefanor@debian.org> wrote:
>Hi Scott (2015.04.15_02:17:18_+0200)
>> >Upstream Python's direction for Python paths is in favor of
>explicitly
>> >numbered
>> >/usr/bin/python2 and /usr/bin/python3. In support of this, rough
>> >consensus in
>> >the room is that /usr/bin/python should likely be removed *entirely*
>> >from
>> >shebangs (though not from the distro).
>>
>> Unless we are also removing /usr/bin/python, why does this matter?
>> Unless there will be cases where /usr/bin/python2 exists while
>> /usr/bin/python doesn't, I don't see what this does?
>
>Very little. But it makes it clear that Python 2's days are numbered.
>And opens the door to doing something else with /usr/bin/python, when
>we've exorcised Python 2 from the archive.
>
>Upstream cpython recommends this in PEP394, and other distros are
>following suit. Alignment is useful, whether or not the change is a
>massive win for us.
>
>There's a long discussion in
>https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2014-September/136374.html
>That didn't have much in the way of conclusion.

Okay. I if they both go away at the same time, I don't see the point, but if people want to work on it go for it.

Maybe I'll mellow over time, but currently my thinking is that if there's an upload to point /usr/bin/python at a python3, it will be immediately followed by one where I remove myself from being maintainer. It's an idea that can only cause pain.

Scott K