Re: New package python-instagram

On 2014-11-21 at 12:33:58 +0100, Jörg Frings-Fürst wrote:
> >   - it's simpler if your packaging has the same license as he upstream
> >     code. Here in particular your license (GPL3) is less permissive
> >     than upstream's (BSD3) so it can causes problems I guess.
>
> I always use GLP-3+ for debian/* and set the license of debian/patches/*
> to the license of the source file(s). So I don't see any problems.

Wouldn't that means that the debian package can only be distributed/used
under GPL-3+, and thus e.g. a library can't be linked from / used
in something with a noncompatible license (including GPL-2), even if
the upstream program allowed it?

(Assuming that there is something copyrightable in debian/ minus
debian/patches/, and for other packages that the upstream license
was compatible with GPL-3+ in the first place)

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''