Re: Status of pythondialog in Debian

On 17 October 2014 17:59, Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:
> Barry Warsaw <barry@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Please note that this is not a team-maintained package.  We could do a
>> non-maintainer upload of it, but I'd rather see either 1) Adam, the current
>> maintainer CC'd here, update the package, or 2) have Adam move the package to
>> the Debian Python team, where we could collectively maintain it going
>> forward.
>
> As Mathias pointed out, the package in Debian has been abandoned for a
> long time...

Indeed. #673962 was switched from O to ITA due to a pending package in
mentors, but the package was removed from mentors after some
inactivity and there was no further progress.

>> That's excellent, thanks, and should help us (either the team or Adam) update
>> the package.  Would you be able to file a bug on the package in Debian, and
>> attach a diff (debdiff) of your packaging changes?
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?dist=unstable;package=python-dialog
>
> I'm not sure it is the way to go: current pythondialog versions only
> support Python 3, although I made a backport of version 3.0.1 to
> Python 2 (<https://pypi.python.org/pypi/python2-pythondialog>). The
> implication is that python-dialog (currently in Debian) and
> python3-dialog (as mentioned in my previous message) are different
> source packages, built from different upstream tarballs.

There are no reverse dependencies of python-dialog in Debian, and the
popcon count is quite low (127). Combined with the fact that you do
not intend to support the package upstream on Python 2, I think it
would just make sense to remove the Python 2 package from Debian.
However, I don't think it is misleading to upload the Python 3 package
as the same source package since this is really a later version of the
same pythondialog from the same upstream author; and this would
require less administrative overhead than uploading a new source
package (which would need to go through full NEW processing) and
asking for the old one to be removed just to accomplish what is
effectively a change in the name of the source package.

Thus I intend to take over the existing ITA and inject Florent's
source package into DPMT now, under the old source package name
(pythondialog), and review it for upload. Florent, would you like to
be listed as one of the package co-maintainers? If you don't intend to
work on the packaging in future, then there's no point in doing this,
but you would be welcome to join DPMT and participate in the work on
this package in future if you're interested in doing this.