Re: Status of pythondialog in Debian

Hi Florent,

On Oct 17, 2014, at 04:17 PM, Florent Rougon wrote:

>As the upstream maintainer of pythondialog, I feel a bit concerned about
>its status in Debian, in particular about what is going to go into
>jessie. In short, I'd rather see the package removed from Debian than
>stay in the current status.

Please note that this is not a team-maintained package.  We could do a
non-maintainer upload of it, but I'd rather see either 1) Adam, the current
maintainer CC'd here, update the package, or 2) have Adam move the package to
the Debian Python team, where we could collectively maintain it going
forward.

>The package that is currently in unstable is terribly outdated (the
>version dates from 2004), has a few bugs, supports neither Unicode
>correctly nor Python 3, contrary to current upstream versions, not to
>mention a bunch of features including help and extra button support,
>easy pythondialog and backend version checking, autowidgetsize and the
>new Sphinx-generated manual[1].
>
>In case someone is interested, I've prepared a package of the latest
>version for Python 3, using dh, dh_python3 and pybuild, following the
>suggestions given on the Debian Python wiki (which is nice to have,
>thank you!).

That's excellent, thanks, and should help us (either the team or Adam) update
the package.  Would you be able to file a bug on the package in Debian, and
attach a diff (debdiff) of your packaging changes?

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?dist=unstable;package=python-dialog

Cheers,
-Barry