Re: Keeping upstream commits separate from Debian packaging commits

On Oct 12, 2014, at 02:49 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

>Also, during the Debconf discussion, we decided we would use the
>pristine-tar workflow, *not* using upstream VCS merge.

More specifically, as I remember the discussion, it was decided that if
upstream uses tarball based releases (as most PyPI packages do), then DPMT git
vcses would also use a pristine-tar workflow.

When upstream does not release tarballs, I think we decided to encourage
pristine-tar, but to leave it to individual package maintainers to do what
makes the most sense.  However, in these cases, a README.source is required to
explain the untypical packaging workflow.

It also makes sense in those cases to ensure that the communication channels
aren't overloaded with upstream commits, which I think are almost always going
to be uninteresting to team members.

>A "git-import-orig" normally goes into a single commit, which I don't think
>would bother anyone (not on the list, or on IRC).

Agreed.

>While I don't agree with this decision, I prefer to just import upstream VCS
>and do packaging based on tags, but I will still respect it when packaging in
>the DPMT.

Thank you.  I personally appreciate the accommodations to the majority team
decision.

One other comment about commit notifications; we'll probably want to suppress
notifications for initial commits of converted packages.  I learned that the
hard way for the last package I converted.

Cheers,
-Barry