Re: Keeping upstream commits separate from Debian packaging commits (was: Fighting commit storm madness)

On 9 October 2014 22:59, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> It's a good illustration of why I much prefer the workflow of a separate
> VCS for the ‘debian/’ directory, merged with upstream source only at
> build time. The results of the merge are in a separate location and are
> never checked into VCS, they're used only for the build.

At the BoF during DebConf, me and paultag discussed how we use exactly
this workflow for Docker stuff in Git, and we love it.  We don't ever
worry about any kind of upstream commits in the packaging, and only
deal with upstream tarballs/source at build time, which keeps things
simple.

Looking at the history of our repo is a direct look at the history of
debian/, which makes sense because it's a repo for the packaging, and
anything other than that really is a distraction.

During the BoF, we were kind of alone in recommending this workflow,
but it's certainly nice (for me anyhow) to see other people advocating
it as well! :)

TL;DR +1 for ditching upstream artifacts :>

♥,
- Tianon