Re: Keeping upstream commits separate from Debian packaging commits (was: Fighting commit storm madness)

On Oct 10, 2014, at 12:16 AM, Tianon Gravi wrote:

>At the BoF during DebConf, me and paultag discussed how we use exactly
>this workflow for Docker stuff in Git, and we love it.  We don't ever
>worry about any kind of upstream commits in the packaging, and only
>deal with upstream tarballs/source at build time, which keeps things
>simple.
>
>Looking at the history of our repo is a direct look at the history of
>debian/, which makes sense because it's a repo for the packaging, and
>anything other than that really is a distraction.
>
>During the BoF, we were kind of alone in recommending this workflow,
>but it's certainly nice (for me anyhow) to see other people advocating
>it as well! :)

I don't quite understand how you would get more than a single commit outside
of debian/ when you would do something like git-dpm import-new-upstream.
You're pulling in the tar.gz which of course has no vcs history.

Cheers,
-Barry