Re: Two django packages for Debian?

So let me give my own answer to some of the questions asked here.

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> However, it does not integrate with git-dpm at the moment and there is
> no clear conversion / vcs history import available. Do we care about
> preserving vcs history for our packages? Do we want synthetic history
> (e.g. per upload granularity)?

I believe it's useful to have some history, at least on a per-upload
basis (and it's relatively easy to do do with git-import-dscs + debsnap).

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> If one wants us to consider XYZ, please send a link to test repo and a
> list of commands that will let us deal f.e. with such problems:

Feel free to use "debcheckout python-django" as a test bed (just don't
"git push" your tests).

> * how can I fetch foo sources? what about updating all packages in one command?
>   (XYZ pull? mr update?)

"git clone"

For the multiple repositories, yes it's "mr" that most teams use.

> * how can I build it?
>   (is debuild/sbuild enough or do I need to use XYZ-buildpackage/whatever?)

I do use "git-buildpackage" but it's really not a requirement. debbuild
should be usable on a git clone.

> * old patch needs an update, what should I do?
>   (quilt edit? quilt refresh? XYZ rebase on a different branch?)
> * new patch is needed, how can I add it?
>   (quilt new? another branch?)

I don't see the need for the team to impose anything here. patches are
stored in quilt format, people can use "quilt" or "git-dpm" or "gbp-pq".

> * there's new upstream release, how can I import it?
>   (uscan in source pkg's root dir?)

git-import-orig --pristine-tar --uscan

> * how can I share my changes?
>   (XYZ push?)

git push origin :
git push origin --tags

On Sat, 09 Aug 2014, Brian May wrote:
> At the moment, in subversion, we only store the debian/* directory. Is
> there any requirement/benefit in putting the full upstream source in git
> too?

Not putting the upstream sources would be non-sense. We want to be able to
use the git tools to maintain the quilt series and for this we need the
sources in git. It also makes it possible to use standard tools like
debuild instead of needing some pre-build setup logic to extract the
upstream sources and inject the debian directory.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/