Re: preparing for Python 3.4

On Feb 21, 2014, at 12:22 AM, Matthias Klose wrote:

>In most cases this should be replaced with a python3 shebang, which can be
>done with dh_python3 --shebang=/usr/bin/python3.  But why not automate this?
>dh_python3 looks at the b-d's, and if it doesn't find a b-d on
>python3-all-dev or libpython-all-dev, then it should be safely replaced.
>Even for packages with a b-d on python-all-dev, in most cases a python3
>shebang should be the correct default. Same thing for python2.7, maybe not
>that important, because nobody cares and we have only one version
>available. So change dh_python? Or at least add some lintian warning for a
>dependency on a specific python version?

+1 for automating it, and for the lintian warning.  I think in general we
should use /usr/bin/python3 or /usr/bin/python2 in shebang (I could accept
/usr/bin/python for the latter, because as you say, who cares?).  This would
leave --shebang=whatever for overriding it in the rare case where a specific
version dependency exists.

Thanks for all the great work on getting us on Python 3.4 by default.

-Barry