Re: preparing for Python 3.4

* Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org>, 2014-02-21, 00:22:
The most common thing is a generated dependency on python3.x, because a package contains a file/binary with a python3.x shebang. In most cases this should be replaced with a python3 shebang, which can be done with dh_python3 --shebang=/usr/bin/python3. But why not automate this? dh_python3 looks at the b-d's, and if it doesn't find a b-d on python3-all-dev or libpython-all-dev, then it should be safely replaced.

It's none of the dh_python3 business to know what I have in Build-Depends, especially since it can't possibly know why I have it there.

Even for packages with a b-d on python-all-dev, in most cases a python3 shebang should be the correct default. Same thing for python2.7, maybe not that important, because nobody cares and we have only one version available. So change dh_python?

Isn't pile of hacks implemented in dh_python* high enough already?

Or at least add some lintian warning for a dependency on a specific python version?

Sounds better.

FWIW, lintian4python has this:

$ lintian4py-info -t versioned-python-shebang
I: versioned-python-shebang
N:
N:   This script starts with a shebang referring to versioned interpreter
N:   name. This is often a mistake.
N:
N:   Severity: normal, Certainty: wild-guess
N:
N:   Check: python/scripts, Type: binary
N:

--
Jakub Wilk