Re: Using git-svn and gbp for DPMT - Was: Re: Joining the DPMT and git.debian.org access

On Jan 21, 2014, at 08:05 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:

>git-buildpackage has a few misbehaviors by default: the fact that it builds
>in place by default instead of exporting to a separate dir is annoying
>(--git-export-dir=../build-area/), and that you have to pass it extra
>options when you're building from a branch named 'debian'
>(--git-debian-branch=branch_name).  IIRC there are subtle differences in
>behavior between --svn-ignore-new and --git-ignore-new, but I don't remember
>now what they are.

That's my vague recollection too.

>Right... these are things the end user (or the package maintainer) should
>not have to configure :)
>
>But I don't think the DPMT should wait for these buglets to be fixed in
>git-buildpackage before switching to git.  (Not that my opinion matters
>anyway. :)

Agreed.  We have precedence here too: there were annoying buglets in the
Python helpers, which we documented around until they were fixed[*].  We can
do the same thing here too, because wikis.

Cheers,
-Barry

[*] like having to explicitly loop through Python versions until pybuild came
along. :)