Re: Best practice: exclude generated ‘foo.egg-info’ files from source and VCS

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > Since Distutils is the officially supported standard for Python
>
> It is probably about time it were demoted from that.

Well, that's not a decision that is for ‘debian-python’ to make :-)

Distutils is the officially supported standard for Python, because
that's the only packaging, distribution, and dependency declaration
system the Python standard library supports.

Distutils isn't the best, but it is better than Setuptools, which AFAIK
are the top two options for Python. Support from the Python standard
library is more valuable for us than (as with Setuptools) the absence of
that support.

I'm all for the Python developers demoting Distutils from the standard
library, but only when something better-designed is ready to immediately
take its place. Such a replacement would first have to become quite
widely-used and well-proven, as well as being better designed, and I
don't know of such a contender today.

> Not supporting dependency information in a useful way is not really
> acceptable today.

True, but not relevant for choosing between Setuptools versus Distutils,
which is the context of my statement quoted above.

--
 \          “A hundred times every day I remind myself that […] I must |
  `\       exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have |