Re: Python 3 as default

> Instead, I mean, what would it take for the basic Debian system to install
> Python 3 only by default, and have any system scripts that depend on Python
> be Python 3.

Nothing.

I just did a default no-tasks selected debian wheezy system and no version of
python was installed.

Using a cowbuilder wheezy & sid chroot I decided to see what python the tasks
from tasksel install.

(e.g. apt-get -s install task-web-server | grep python)

Tasks:
task-desktop (with --no-install-recommends): no Python

  task-gnome-desktop: (wheezy Python 2.7) (sid both Python 2.7 & Python 3.3)
  task-kde-desktop: (wheezy no Python) (sid Python 2.7)
  task-lxde-desktop: Python 2.7
  task-xfce-desktop: no Python.

task-web-server: no Python
task-print-server: no Python
task-database-server: no Python
task-dns-server: (wheezy no Python) (sid Python 2.7)
task-file-server: Python 2.7
task-mail-server: no Python
task-ssh-server: no Python
task-laptop: no Python

Looking at the lists of packages suggested by apt-get it seemed like only
Gnome that wanted lots of python packages.

Diane