Re: Python 3 as default

Hi Barry,

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 11:25:16AM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I try to keep an eye on what other distros are doing w.r.t. Python 3.  Here
> are Fedora's plans:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python_3_as_Default
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bkabrda/Py2to3GuidelineChanges

> Some of these things are not relevant to us (e.g. DNF vs. yum).  Others are
> interesting from a Python-aficionado point of view (e.g. cloud-init and other
> upstreams).

> I'd like to start thinking about what it would mean for Python 3 to be the
> "default" Python in Debian.  This is not "what should /usr/bin/python point
> to" - I think we're all largely in agreement that that shouldn't change, at
> least for the foreseeable future (re: PEP 394).

> Instead, I mean, what would it take for the basic Debian system to install
> Python 3 only by default, and have any system scripts that depend on Python be
> Python 3.

> Anyway, this is mostly just FYI for those who like to keep tabs on the
> competition. :)

> Maybe "Python 3 as default" would be a nice Jessie+1 release goal.

Why should it be Jessie+1 instead of Jessie?  The set of packages that need
ported in order to switch the default is minimal, and AFAIK python3 ports
are already available for all of them thanks to Ubuntu taking the lead here.
In fact, the last time I checked there were only 2-3 packages that actually
needed changed in order to swap python for python3 in the default install -
lsb-release is one of them, and I don't remember offhand what the others
were.

In short, I see no reason why Debian would want to stick with python2 by
default in Jessie.  The barrier is much lower than in Ubuntu, because Debian
makes much less use of python in the default install.