Re: PEP 453 affects Debian packaging of Python packages

On Sep 18, 2013, at 11:59 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

>I understand your point and I'm not saying PyPI is something bad,
>I just wish these tools use their own namespace and leave system files
>alone.

This is ultimately where I'd like to see upstream Python packaging going, and
I've had discussions with many people about this, including folks active in
other Linux distros.  There's general agreement to do *something* here, but my
take on it is that the players with the time and interest are tackling lower
level stuff (again <wink>) that have a higher priority for them.

As others here have said, it's not our mission to provide the latest and
greatest software the moment it is available.  It's not even possible to do
that and still maintain a stable distro.

I have long held that the system Python, and its sphere of influence, is our
responsibility and no one else's.  That means disabling root pip.  More useful
is a set up that installs someplace that isn't generally accessibly by
/usr/bin/python* and users/applications would have separate "namespaces" that
provide them the exact match of libraries that satisfy whatever version of
whatever tool they want.  It should play nicely with system packages where
possible.

Sounds a lot like `virtualenv --system-site-packages` right?

-Barry