Re: Please install /usr/bin/python2

On Sep 16, 2013, at 10:16 AM, anatoly techtonik wrote:

>As a Python developer I couldn't care less for the "default Python"
>stuff as long as my scripts use proper shebang. python for 2/3
>compatible stuff, python2 for 2.x only and python3 where needed.

If you're distributing software intended to be used on a wide range of OSes
and you're building your distributions with non-OS tools, then I think this is
fine and Debian (starting with Jessie) will let you do this.  So there's no
problem needing fixing.

>The Debian python policy should require that. This is an upstream
>recommendation that Debian wrongly didn't pay attention to, choosing to
>complain about inevitable natural processes instead.

Again, I think it's no big deal that the Debian tools use /usr/bin/python in
the shebang for Python 2 scripts.  Debian tools and policy are about building
great software for *Debian* and its derivatives, not for building cross
platform scripts.

If you're looking for cross-platform support look upstream, at setuptools,
pip, virtualenv, and that ecosystem.

-Barry