Re: Please install /usr/bin/python2

i'm not an expert by any means but i fail to see how this is an issue?

-Everyone wrote scripts for python 2.x using /usr/bin/python
-With python3, scripts were written specifically for python3 using /usr/bin/python3

When Debian eventually changes to python3 by default all the scripts will be written using /usr/bin/python3 anyway so it shouldn't matter what the python symlink is as we are following the major release number for python3+. There isn't a reason to change the /usr/bin/python link let alone create one for python2.

Debian source packages that require a python2 symlink would be patched out and it would be fine.

On 15 September 2013 20:29, anatoly techtonik <techtonik@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> wrote:
>>> The only suggestion I can make is that it's generally not that hard for new code to make it work for both python2.7 and python3.3.
>>
>> I do not agree.
>
> I mean that generally it is hard to say what problems people face when
> trying to make the code running on both Python 3 and Python 2. My own
> experience shows that testing both is very burdensome no matter if you
> port app or start from scratch. Generally you should keep in mind all
> differences between both languages and that alone already hard.

And as anti-offtopic, writing only for Python 2 has its advantages,
and leaving out this option for Debian users now seriously affect
future of Debian as a backward compatible Python platform in future.
So, I am +1 fpor adding python2 command ASAP.
--
anatoly t.