Re: Please install /usr/bin/python2

Kerrick Staley <kerrick@kerrickstaley.com> wrote:
>Please install /usr/bin/python2 as part of the default Debian install.
>It
>still doesn't exist on 7.1, which prevents scripts with a shebang of
>#!/usr/bin/python2 from running.
>
>Note that the following matters (which have derailed previous threads
>on
>this topic) are irrelevant to this request:
>- whether Debian scripts should switch to /usr/bin/python2 instead of
>/usr/bin/python
>- whether /usr/bin/python should currently be Python 3
>- whether /usr/bin/python should ever be Python 3
>- whether Python 2 will ever be deprecated
>- whether Arch switching /usr/bin/python to Python 3 was a bad idea
>- whether Arch is stupid
>
>Regardless of any of the above, adding /usr/bin/python2 is definitely a
>Good Thing and will Benefit Users, because there are an increasing
>number
>of scripts in the wild using #!/usr/bin/python2. It's also the Upstream
>Recommendation.

It's an accident it wasn't provided in wheezy, but I don't think it's the kind of bug that's suitable for a post-release fix.  It's already in Testing, so there's not more to do now.

There are many, many systems from many different distributions that don't have /usr/bin/python2.  Script authors that want their work to be portable shouldn't assume it exists.  That's true independent of if we fix the in Wheezy or not.

Scott K