Re: Please install /usr/bin/python2

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Lachlan <lachlan.00@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm not an expert by any means but i fail to see how this is an issue?
>
> -Everyone wrote scripts for python 2.x using /usr/bin/python
> -With python3, scripts were written specifically for python3 using
> /usr/bin/python3
>
> When Debian eventually changes to python3 by default all the scripts will be
> written using /usr/bin/python3 anyway so it shouldn't matter what the python
> symlink is as we are following the major release number for python3+. There
> isn't a reason to change the /usr/bin/python link let alone create one for
> python2.
>
> Debian source packages that require a python2 symlink would be patched out
> and it would be fine.

I am a Python coder. Python is a cross-platform language that runs on
Windows, Unix, Mac X, Raspberry PI etc., and I like if my script runs
everywhere. Now I have tons of legacy libraries that are written in
Python 2 and porting them to Python 3 is not trivial. So I have to
stick with Python 2 for the next 5+ years or so. Now I discovered that
if you install Python 3 on Windows, the default 'python' command will
invoke Python 3, so I add "!/usr/bin/env python2" shebang to my
sources to explicitly call Python 2. There is even a special Python
launcher for Windows that parses that shebang. I commit my scripts to
Bitbucket, test everything works and the next day I discover that
everything broken on Debian, because there is no python2 there now.
--
anatoly t.