Re: PEP 394 and shebang lines for /usr/bin/python2 scripts

[Barry Warsaw, 2013-07-25]
> On Jul 25, 2013, at 12:09 AM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
> >and you want to force an administrator who has a service using Python 2.X
> >with lots of scripts with /usr/bin/python shebang to do additional work?
>
> Of course not.  I'm not proposing that that administrators or really any*body*
> has to do anything different, or even make any changes to their stuff.  I'm
> specifically suggesting that when dh_python2 rewrites shebang lines, it use
> /usr/bin/python2 instead of /usr/bin/python, i.e. when --no-shebang-rewrite or
> --shebang=COMMAND is *not* given.

this way we can "fix" only these scripts, that are shipped in official
packages. Not the ones installed from other distributions (apt-pinning,
etc.) or, which is my main point, the ones in /usr/local/ or /opt/
directories. If we cannot "fix" all of them, why bother?

Once python2.X and python-defaults (which provides /usr/bin/python) packages
are gone - we can update each interpreter packages to provide it using
alternatives mechanism (with debug or pypy interpreters having lower
priority) but ONLY when 2.X is no longer in Debian