Re: PEP 394 and shebang lines for /usr/bin/python2 scripts

Alright, I obviously haven't convinced anybody, so I'll drop it.  We'll let
the PEP 394 bug reports speak for themselves <wink>.  But the responses I've
read so far make me think I probably wasn't clear in what I am proposing.

On Jul 25, 2013, at 12:09 AM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

>and you want to force an administrator who has a service using Python 2.X
>with lots of scripts with /usr/bin/python shebang to do additional work?

Of course not.  I'm not proposing that that administrators or really any*body*
has to do anything different, or even make any changes to their stuff.  I'm
specifically suggesting that when dh_python2 rewrites shebang lines, it use
/usr/bin/python2 instead of /usr/bin/python, i.e. when --no-shebang-rewrite or
--shebang=COMMAND is *not* given.

What does this mean?  Upstreams don't have to change anything.  Developers and
maintainers don't have to change anything.  Admins don't have to change the
shebang lines on their one-off scripts.  No person has to change a thing[1].
It only means that when dh_python2 installs a script *on Debian systems with a
new enough dh_python2*, the rewritten shebang line would be /usr/bin/python2.
Nothing would happen on Wheezy for example.

Maybe I'm being dense, but I just don't see how that's at all risky.

But as I said, I won't push it.
-Barry

[1] Well, Piotr would have to change one or two lines in debpython/tools.py :)