Re: Request to Join Project Python Modules Packaging Team from Vincent Cheng (vincentc-guest)

* Vincent Cheng <vincentc1208@gmail.com>, 2013-05-18, 01:50:
I'm currently a DM (DDPO profile here [1]), and I'd like to join the DPMT and PAPT to move some of my self-maintained packages (pygame is one of them) into team maintainership. Most of my other packages are also team-maintained (I'd estimate half of my packages to be in the Debian Games team, in fact).

Welcome to the team!

Here's my review of pygame_1.9.2~pre~r3189-2:

You have "python3.2-dev (>= 3.2.3-7)" in Build-Depends. Could you put "python3.2-dev (<< 3.2.3-7)" in Build-Conflicts instead? That should have the same effect, while making it easier to remove python3.2 from the archive in the future.

What is libjs-sphinxdoc in Depends for? The changelog says "Add depends on libjs-sphinxdoc and replace embedded js libraries with symlinks in debian/rules", but I don't see anything relevant in debian/rules. But anyway, should probably put ${sphinxdoc:Depends} in Depends and use dh_shpinxdoc instead of replacing this stuff manually.

I advocate against using ${python:Provides}:
http://lists.debian.org/20110324164804.GA5919@jwilk.net

It's time to drop Replaces/Conflict with python2.{3,4}-pygame.

“for” loops in debian/rules lack “set -e”; see Policy §4.6.

Please honour DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck.

Please run tests with all supported Python versions, not only the default one.

Is there a reason test failures are ignored?

You might want to try run the tests under xvfb. Hopefully that should allow running more of them than currently.

You never call "setup.py build" with python3.X, so building Python 3.X modules takes place only when you call "setup.py install", that is in binary* targets, with (pseudo)root privileges. This is something your should avoid.

/usr/share/pyshared/pygame/docs: AFAICS this is the very same documentation as in /usr/share/doc/python-pygames/. Are two copies really needed?

/usr/share/pyshared/examples: examples normally belong to /usr/share/doc/$package/examples/.

Documentation and examples are quite big, and they are included in both binary packages. Maybe it would make sense to move them to a separate documentation package?

/usr/share/pyshared/tests: do tests make sense in the binary package? I wouldn't install them.

/usr/share/pyshared/pygame/LGPL: Lintian should have emitted extra-license-file.

I see you overrode image-file-in-usr-lib, but "This is where distutils installs everything" is a poor excuse. :)

test/test_utils/unittest.py is an embedded copy of stdlib module. Please make sure it's not used at build time, and that it's not installed into binary packages.

Please regenerate src/pypm.c from src/pypm.pyx at build time.

docs/reST/ref/code_examples/joystick_calls.py uses "print" as method name. You can't do that in Python 2.X (unless you import print_function from __future__).

--
Jakub Wilk