Re: RFR: python-qrcode -- native python module to generate QR codes

On 04/15/2013 04:26 AM, Cornelius Kölbel wrote:
> Am 15.04.2013 03:15, schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:

>>> Hello Hans-Christoph,
>>>
>>> to my knowledge till now noone has claimed the package.
>>> So I would very much appreciate, if you would sponsor this package.
>>>
>>> There is the git repo of the upstream package, which is located here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/lincolnloop/python-qrcode
>>>
>>> As part of an internal git I have my addons (Makefile to download, patch
>>> and build the package) in this repository.
>>> So if this should be in a public git, we should move it there, yes, thanks!
>>>
>>> There is one thing for me to do:
>>> The upstream was updated to 2.5.1, and I would have to build a new
>>> package from this.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot and kind regards
>>> Cornelius
>> There is a new style of organizing git repos for packages that have
>> upstream git repos that I want to try.  It allows you to have the
>> upstream history, the tarball/release history, and the debian
>> packaging history all in one repo, all while being easily buildable
>> using git-buildpackage.
>>
>> http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/journal/2013-04/001.html
>> <http://www.eyrie.org/%7Eeagle/journal/2013-04/001.html>
>>
>> So if you don't mind, I'd like to merge in the commits from your git
>> into a new repo that I build up.
>>
>> .hc
> Hello Hans-Christoph,
>
> I am fine with that.
> I have a Makefile, that downloads the upstream package, quilts it and
> builds it... ;-)
>
> The code is part of a larger internal git and there are only 4 or 5
> changes. So I guess extracting it from the git is not worth the effort.
> I could either send you the Makefile and the debian Directory or I can
> add them to the git.
>
> Kind regards
> Cornelius

Ok, here's the repo:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/python-qrcode.git

Sign up for an account on alioth, then you can commit directly using the
git+ssh URL.  I added some updates, including renaming the source package to
python-qrcode since qrcode just seemed too generic and likely to conflict with
other potential packages.  I also updated the package to v2.5.

Here's the workflow for updating a new upstream version.  First, set up the
git remote for the upstream git repo (you need git-buildpackage
v0.6.0~git20120324 or better. If you're on Debian/stable, get a newer version,
I just grabbed the one from testing).

 sudo apt-get install git-buildpackage
 gbp-clone git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/collab-maint/python-qrcode.git
 cd python-qrcode
 git remote add upstream https://github.com/lincolnloop/python-qrcode

Now your local repo should be all set to work with.  Now you can try updating
to a new release:

 git fetch upstream
 git fetch upstream --tags
 wget https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/q/qrcode/qrcode-2.6.tar.gz
 git-import-orig --pristine-tar --upstream-vcs-tag=v2.6 qrcode-2.6.tar.gz

Now you'll have the debian packaging commits and the upstream commits all
synced up together.  Its pretty slick :)

.hc