Re: About canonical Vcs fields

On 14 March 2013 13:56, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We discussed new lintian vcs-field-not-canonical check in IRC last week,
> which affects *lots* of packages in our SVN (see [¹]). Now people are
> recommended to use `svn://anonscm.debian.org/*` URIs instead of
> `svn://svn.debian.org/*`, but it seems that it's not what most packages
> use at the moment.
>
> So let's do a quick poll:
>
> [1a] I used anonscm.debian.org, and like it.
> [1b] I used svn.debian.org, but like the new URIs and will switch.
>
> [2a] I used svn.debian.org, don't like the new URIs but I don't mind switching.
> [2b] I used svn.debian.org, and will continue to use it, lintian should allow that.
> [2c] I used anonscm.debian.org, but don't like it.
>
> (I hope I've covered all options, let me know if there is something not
> listed above. If you had different packages that used different URIs,
> vote for the variant that applies to the biggest part of your packages.)

Some technical rational behind switching to annonscm:
"""
The machine hosting alioth.debian.org is running on wagner.debian.org.
VCSs are no longer on wagner since the migration which took place
during 2011, vasks.debian.org is now hosting svn.debian.org,
arch.debian.org, bzr.debian.org, darcs.debian.org, git.debian.org, and
hg.debian.org. Those services are tightly related to Alioth since all
the user accounts and the groups are taken from FusionForge database.
This means that you can only create VCS repositories for existing
alioth projects and that any member of that project will have access
to the corresponding public repository.
"""
So it was nice when all of them pointed to alioth, now all $vcs are on
vasks and thus have a new / different ssh host key.
So it's nice to change hostname for all VCS fields to point to
something that internally resolves to vasks, and at the same time not
expose the internal host name.
anonscm is as good as any to serve this purpose.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.