Re: PyCon 2013 -- tentative title/abstract/outline -- feedback plz

Thank you Paul,

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> I can see this becoming a flamefest.

oh no...  I hoped to simply present our work and not cause
flamefests ;-)

> Most "hardcore" pythonistas (and the types to be at PyCon) refuse to
> allow apt to install libs globally, and use virtualenv(wrapper) to
> isolate deps for a few reasons -- the big ones being:

>  - more "up to date"
>  - isolates dependency hell

> which (frankly) apt-get / Debian stable can't really address. Sometimes
> Python packages in sid are out of date as well.

That is true... Somewhat offtopic -- that is why with neuro.debian.net
we pretty much serve an unofficial backports repository for a good
portion of Python modules we maintain.  Besides immediate benefit for
users, benefit from backporting for developers has been build-time
testing across various releases of Debians and Ubuntus, picking out
problems with specific versions of the core libraries... So, may be I
should add an accent that availability in Debian doesn't only guarantee
ease of installation (for users) but provides a good test bed for the
developers to preclude problems with future deployments on Debian-based
platforms... ?

> People don't care about API stability or anything like that, so I think
> you might have to try to frame this in a way that doesn't provoke a
> virtualenv-vs-apt battle -- because, frankly, neither side will win and
> it'll just become a bit murky.

I think, as Paul pointed out (reply to his email will follow
shortly) that it might be worth to orient the talk more toward the
users who per se pretty much need to take care about the whole system --
regular mortals and sysadmins.

> I'd be happy to help you prepare / do more interactive work with folks
> at PyCon (I should likely be there) :)

Thanks in advance... let's see first if I would be going anywhere ;)

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences