Re: PyCon 2013 -- anyone going? ideas for the talks?

On Sep 21, 2012, at 09:18 AM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

>Since the deadline for the submission of talks/tutorials for the PyCon
>2013 is approaching (28th of Sep) I thought to check if anyone from the
>'team' will be attending (Barry?) and may be someone already is
>planing to give a talk or might be even a tutorial?

I'm certainly planning on attending.

>2. tutorial on "Debian packaging of Python modules/software"

I submitted something like this as one of three talk submissions last year,
though it was rejected (no reason given).  That shouldn't deter you though,
because my submission probably sucked anyway and yours will be better!

I would like to submit a talk this year, if I get off my butt and put one
together.  It would probably be Python 3 focused, and I'd definitely include
details on how to package Python 3 stuff up for Debuntu.  (Say Piotr, how's
that Python multibuild work going? :).

>   since tutorials are separate from the main registration (i.e. require
>   separate payment if I got it right) I am not quite sure how many
>   people would be interested to attend it.  But I guess it should not
>   hurt to submit one and for the committee to decide.

Agreed.

>Also it might be worth asking for  a table/booth space (I think I saw
>that somewhere on pycon website) for the Debian project.

That would be kind of cool.  I don't remember if any of the other distros had
booths, but lots of FLOSS projects did, and it was a nice way to meet others
you only know online, and introduce new people to the project.  Sometimes we
think all the world knows about Debian and Python, but that's mostly because
we usually live in such an insular community.  Pycon 2012 was *huge* and I
expect 2013 to only be bigger.  There are *lots* of users out there that come
from vastly different backgrounds and aren't as familiar with the Debian
ecosystem or using it to develop Python applications.  Many folks aren't that
familiar with FLOSS, or may even be Python novices.

>I would be glad to get any feedback (i.e. "not worth the money/time
>spent", "you might like better to ...", ...) and recommendations on how
>to get funds for the trip (I will apply for the "financial aid" but more
>ideas e.g. "kickstarter project?", "I think my company might be
>interested to cover...", etc) ;)

I don't have too many other suggestions other than going the financial aid
route.  Kickstarter is an interesting idea.

I highly encourage everyone to submit a talk, poster, or tutorial.  In and of
itself, it can be fun to put one together, thinking about whatever cool thing
you've done recently, or *want* to do.  And if you get accepted, it is
*extremely* rewarding (if a little nerve-wracking - I was frantically
finishing up my 2012 talk right up to the last minute :).  Other than that, I
highly suggest attending the sprints since that's almost as much fun as the
main event, and when else do you get to sit in rooms with a few hundred other
fantastic and cool Pythonistas, hacking away at your favorite pet projects?

Cheers,
-Barry