Re: Advise on packaging a new Python module

On 07/11/12 16:43, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Tomás Di Domenico <tdido@tdido.com.ar>, 2012-11-07, 12:30:
>> About the different versions in the git repository and the upstream
>> package, that is actually my fault. I checked out the code from the
>> upstream Mercurial repository and built the tarball myself, hence
>> using a more recent version than the one in the tarball. It is not,
>> however, an "official" release. How is this best handled? Should I
>> revert the git repository so to keep it in sync with the official
>> releases?
>
> I think this is the way to go, yes.

Right, I'll do that then. Thank you.

>> Also, out of curiosity, is there ever the case where you will build a
>> package against a particular build, without it being officially
>> released by upstream?
>
> I think I don't understand this question. :( Could you try to rephrase it?

Sure: so the situation right now is that I used an upstream revision
that's newer than the published 1.1.0 release. Hence the differences you
mentioned. I believe I have seen Debian packages that include revision
numbers in their version numbers. I was wondering what would be a
scenario where you'd actually build the Debian package with a upstream
revision that's newer than an official release, and if this happens often.

If I'm not making any sense, please disregard the question and accept my
apologies. It certainly does not affect my packaging efforts in any case :)

Thanks again!