Re: suffix for packages with (optional?) Python extensions

On Monday, July 16, 2012 10:24:18 AM Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> > >convention

> > >python-foo-

> > >all -> any package dependencies are often icky, if you want them to be
> > >strictly versioned.  Probably not a showstopper, but something to be
> > >aware of.
> >
> > Right now I'd just like to understand what is being proposed.
>
> look at any of mine python-* packages having corresponding -lib package.
> e.g.
>
> $> apt-get source python-nipy
> $> grep -e Package: -e Architecture:
> nipy-0.2.0\~rc2+git27-g7b9b5a5/debian/control Package: python-nipy
> Architecture: all
> Package: python-nipy-lib
> Architecture: any
> Package: python-nipy-lib-dbg
> Architecture: any
> Package: python-nipy-doc
> Architecture: all

OK.  python-nipy depends on python-nipy-lib.  Makes sense.

Package: python-nipy-lib
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}, ${python:Depends}
Provides: ${python:Provides}
XB-Python-Version: ${python:Versions}
 NiPy is a Python-based framework for the analysis of structural and
 functional neuroimaging data.
 .
 This package provides architecture-dependent builds of the libraries.

Is python-nipy-lib useful on it's own?  It seems odd to me that it doesn't at
least Suggest python-nipy.

Scott K