Re: suffix for packages with (optional?) Python extensions

> can we agree on a common suffix for such¹ packages and add a suggestion
> to Debian Python Policy?

> I use -ext (python-sqlalchemy-ext) but now I see that there are also
> -accel (python-reportlab-accel) and -lib (python-guppy-lib)

good idea... Now I somewhat like -ext more than -lib -- it is more Pythonic --
but I guess I am the biggest abuser with the -lib (codespeak is not mine).
Also -lib might actually be more factual -- it is not necessarily native
Pythonic extensions which would be provided there but might be other .so's
(native dynamic libraries etc -- just look inside python-numpy since
python-numpy-ext is apparently a transitional package since 2007 I found on my
drive ;) )

$> dpkg -l python-*-{lib,ext,accel}
||/ Name                     Version           Architecture      Description
+++-========================-=================-=================-======================================================
ii  python-brian-lib         1.3.1-1+b1        amd64             simulator for spiking neural networks -- extensions
ii  python-bson-ext          2.2-2             amd64             C-coded extension to the python-bson package
un  python-codespeak-lib     <none>                              (no description available)
ii  python-dipy-lib          0.5.0-3           amd64             toolbox for analysis of MR diffusion imaging data -- e
un  python-guppy-lib         <none>                              (no description available)
ii  python-mlpy-lib          2.2.0~dfsg1-2+b1  amd64             low-level implementations and bindings for mlpy
ii  python-mvpa-lib          0.4.8-1           amd64             low-level implementations and bindings for PyMVPA
ii  python-mvpa2-lib         2.1.0-1           amd64             low-level implementations and bindings for PyMVPA v. 2
ii  python-numpy-ext         1:1.3.0-3         all               NumPy adds a fast array facility to the Python languag
ii  python-pandas-lib        0.8.0-1           amd64             low-level implementations and bindings for pandas
ii  python-pymongo-ext       2.2-2             amd64             C-coded extension to the python-pymongo package
ii  python-reportlab-accel   2.5-1.1           amd64             C coded extension accelerator for the ReportLab Toolki
un  python-scikits-learn-lib <none>                              (no description available)
ii  python-skimage-lib       0.6-1             amd64             Optimized low-level algorithms for scikits-image
ii  python-sklearn-lib       0.11.0-2          amd64             low-level implementations and bindings for scikit-lear
ii  python-sqlalchemy-ext    0.7.8-1           amd64             SQL toolkit and Object Relational Mapper for Python -
ii  python-statsmodels-lib   0.4.0-2           amd64             low-level implementations and bindings for statsmodels

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences