Re: PyPI to Debian repository converter (GSoC 2012 project)

On Apr 30, 2012, at 11:04 AM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

>With such a massive automated "packaging" it would be great if from day
>0 you would think about adding build-time testing into the
>pipeline. It should be quite easy to discover if module carries any
>unittests (grep for unittest ;) ) and what should be the way to run them
>(many modules provide .test(), or are testable with 'nosetest module').
>It would provide you assurance that generated packages are usable by the
>users, thus reduce future frustration / bug reports about broken
>packages.

*Really* excellent suggestion.

I think you're going to have to build in a bunch of heuristics to find package
tests, but it's also worth it.  Some strategies include:

- Look `test_suite` key in setup.py, and if found, run `python setup.py test`

- Try `python -m unittest discover`

- Look for tox.ini and run `tox` (see bug 664759)

- Try `nosetest`

- Look for variations of a `runtests.sh` script in the top level directory or
  `tests` subdirectory.

Probably more I can't think of right now.  Yeah, I wish the Python world had
more consistency.  I'm still hoping `packaging` will at least include some
metadata on how to run a package's tests.

Cheers,
-Barry