Re: how to take a public package private?

Paul Elliott <pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> writes:

> My package uses a package that it makes public. What is the standard,
> established way to take that package private?

In the absence of better-informed answers (please, knowledgeable Debian
Python people, help us out with this information!):

The Debian Python Policy says:

    A program using /usr/bin/python as interpreter can come up with
    private Python modules. These modules should be installed in
    /usr/share/module, or /usr/lib/module if the modules are
    architecture-dependent (e.g. extensions).

    <URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-programs.html#s-current_version_progs>

but gives no specifics as to how to do that. This abstention from
specifying implementation is entirely appropriate for a policy document,
of course: it is not the business of the policy document to say how to
achieve it.

That said, there doesn't appear to be much easily-found documentation on
how to do that with the available tools. The best I can find is:

    Add these three lines [to ‘debian/rules’]:

      override_dh_auto_install:
            python setup.py install --root=debian/charm --install-layout=deb --install-lib=/usr/share/charm --install-scripts=/usr/share/charm
      override_dh_auto_build:

    This is the important part, it will tell distutils that we want to use
    private directory. This directory is not in sys.path, so charm script is
    installed (via --install-scripts) to this directory as well --root is
    distutils ' DESTDIR

    We have to add override_dh_auto_build: line because dh detected setup.py
    file and wants to build modules for all.

    <URL:https://wiki.debian.org/Python/Packaging>

That page is largely based on a record of an interactive tutorial done
some time ago.

It would be very helpful if someone more knowledgeable about how these
tools (Python's Distutils, Debhelper's ‘dh_python2’, etc.) are intended
to work together could update that page to be less ad-hoc conversational
and more reference.

--
 \         “Geeks like to think that they can ignore politics. You can |
  `\        leave politics alone, but politics won't leave you alone.” |