Re: RFS: DPMT: flufl.lock 2.1.1-1

On Sep 11, 2011, at 12:22 AM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

>> >yep, NEWS.txt.gz is now a symlink to changelog.gz
>> >thanks to dh_installchangelogs' "-k flufl/lock/NEWS.txt" option in your
>> >debian/rules
>>
>> I'm still not getting this one, so I don't know what to do about it.
>
>"-k flufl/lock/NEWS.txt" is the fix, that's why you don't get it anymore

Ah, I misunderstood.  That makes sense.

>> >* documentation files (*.txt *and* conf.py file) are now in dist-packages
>>
>> I think that's fine.  All the flufl.* packages have both unittests and
>> doctests.  The doctests are in the .txt files, but they have to be accessible
>> via sys.path, which answers your question below.  flufl.lock.docs must be a
>> package directory, but the only .py file it contains is __init__.py.  I
>> personally want to include the test suite in the package, and anyway it
>> doesn't add anything appreciable to the size of the package.
>
>using.txt contains doctests, NEWS.txt and README.txt do not. They're
>installed in /usr/share/doc/python-flufl.lock/html/_sources/ anyway so why do
>you want to duplicate them in a directory that is meant for Python modules?

Mostly because that's what you'd get if you installed it from pypi.  As you
say below, I'd like to deviate as little from upstream as possible.  But it
also doesn't have any functional effect on the package, so if it's cleaner to
install it this way in Debian, that's fine with me.

>> The conf.py file is used to generate the Sphinx docs from the doctests.  I
>> don't see any value in just leaving it there; it doesn't collide with
>> anything else.
>
>it's not useful at runtime, please don't diverge from upstream. Upstreams are
>not happy when we do that... ;-P

Oops, I should have said: "I don't see any value in removing it".  As you
observe, its there in upstream, so it probably should just be left alone.  But
I also don't care that much, so again if that makes the Debian package
cleaner, then I'm fine with removing it.

>> >* flufl.lock-2.1.1-nspkg.pth is not really needed (I think I will add an
>> >  option to dh_python2 to remove .pth files, I cannot do that by
>> >  default, though)
>>
>> This is an artifact of `python setup.py install-egg-info`.  Is it harmful to
>> leave it there?  Personally I don't care about it.
>
>it's not harmful, but without this file, we'll gain few miliseconds at
>runtime and few bytes in the archive, so why not make it the right way
>and remove it?
>
>I'd add these lines to debian/python-flufl.lock.pyremove:
>
>*.pth
>flufl/lock/conf.py
>flufl/lock/README.txt
>flufl/lock/NEWS.txt
>flufl.lock*.egg-info/SOURCES.txt

I added these, except for *.pth, as you point out in your follow up.

svn committed.  I'll copy these changes into the other three packages.

-Barry