Re: Switching to git

Hi,

On Sun, 06.03.2011 at 13:33:45 -0500, Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> wrote:
> On Mar 06, 2011, at 05:43 PM, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> >Do the 2 VCDs you mentioned have clear advantage that make then
> >preferible to git except being Python-based? If so, I think it's a
> >quite weak reason.
>
> Let me turn that around: why would you *not* want to use a Python based dVCS?
> <wink>
>
> One reason could be that git is the de-facto standard for Debian.  I guess
> choice of dVCS is the editor-wars of the 2010s, and probably just as silly.

just my 0.02 cents:

At my company, we switched from Bazaar to git a few months ago after
having some sort of a shoot-out with Mercurial and Git. The major
reason in favour of Git was toolchain support, which is rather weak in
comparison for about *every* other system.

Originally, I thought that Bazaar had the cleanest design, but in
practice, it worked more often against than in favour of our
requirements. Over time, being Python based was not a boon, but rather
a bane, since we're not deeply enough immersed in the system to make
use of the offered functionality, but found that their developers -
probably more and more powerful than for Mercurial - didn't even have
enough resources to properly support our second most important
platform, OpenBSD (I made a feeble attempt to help with this, but it
didn't work out).

So in the end, we just acknowledged that, with respect to SCMs, we are
just users, and went with the most feature-complete system that was
useful for us (and still hope that we're not going to get bitten by
this SHA1 checksum issue).

Kind regards,
--Toni++